Why buy a dog when you can adopt. A lot of people in India are taking up the idea of adopting a stray dog. The community dogs that live on the streets by the neighborhood are extremely intelligent and quick learners. They also make great running companions.
Dogs are fully vet checked and healthy before they are adopted. They have all their vaccinations, deworming, flea/tick control, and health certification. Dog shelters and rescues are full of lovable, active, and healthy adoptable dogs just waiting for someone to take them home.
Things to keep in mind before adopting a dog:
So if you are ready for the dog and the adventures to come you should be mentally prepared because it is a full-time responsibility. Dogs require time and commitment as they are not just for puppy days but for life. They do need your time and attention from daily walks to planning vacations you’ll be sharing your life with them.
Also, you need to consider the expenses as there would be bills for food, vaccinations, veterinary costs, etc.
Here’s how to adopt a dog: Follow Steps
- Look for a rescue or nearby dog shelter house.
- Visit the shelter and try to bond with the dog.
- Get the medical records and history of the dog.
- Follow the required and necessary procedures.
- Sign up the adoption papers
Things to keep in mind after adopting a dog:
- Prepare yourself and your home for the adventure.
- The dogs need basic training to settle down indoors.
- Set up a routine for daily habits so they could learn easily.
By taking a dog home by adopting from a rescue or a shelter, you are making room in the rescue so they can save another pet from a shelter, or making room at the shelter itself
Source: The article has been taken from the India Today post. Refer to the original article.